Actueel: Belangrijke Engelse doc. tijdelijk te downloaden

Hier kan gediscussieerd worden over nieuws, artikelen en onderzoek over ME (cvs)

Moderator: Moderators

spring
Donateur
Donateur

Actueel: Belangrijke Engelse doc. tijdelijk te downloaden

Bericht door spring »

In Engeland zijn er overheidsdocumenten van de periode 1984-1993 vrijgekomen over ME/CFS die pas in 2072 vrij zouden komen. Ik weet niet precies hoe het zit, maar iemand (Valerie Eliot Smit) heeft dit voor elkaar gekregen middels een soort verzoek (FOI). 

'BN141/1 (DWP) is one of the previously 'closed' files on ME/CFS that was not due to be released until January 2072, but it has now been released into the public domain

BN 141/1 was also the subject of an e-petition earlier this year: http://epetitions.direct.gov.uk/petitions/14242

Ik heb het niet allemaal gelezen maar het bevat o.a. correspondentie tussen de Engelse overheid en dr. Peter White en onze bekende Wessely. In een van de eerste stukken uit 1993 is te zien hoe zij ingaan tegen het voorstel ME en CFS van elkaar te scheiden. 

Een stukje tekst van Wessely (1993):

" ... If CFS/ME is to be listed as a neurological disorder, I will for one begin to campaign via the mental health charities for schizophrenia and manic depression to be also listed under the same heading. Indeed there is far more evidence that these disorders have a neurological origin than does CFS/ME. 

I also feel that this decision, if it has been made, reflects an undesirable stigmatization of psychiatric disorders. The main difference between CFS and the main psychiatric disorders is neither etiological nor symptomatic, but the existence of a powerful lobby group that dislike any association with psychiatry.

It is also a most unfortunate message to send sufferers. It colludes with the erroneous belief that there is a severe disorder of neurological functioning for which there is little effect treatment and a poor prognosis. It will discourage any sensible effort at rehabilitation. As we, and now many other groups have shown that now the only (bolded) determinant of outcome in this condition is strength in belief of a solely physical cause then it will also itself contribute to disability and poor outcome. I cannot believe that this is the intention of the Department (of Social Security) if only on grounds of costs! ... " 

De stukken zijn te downloaden tot 21 augustus via deze link: https://www.yousendit.com/dl?phi_action ... RCtFTmNUQw

Ik weet niet waarom er een tijdsbeperking aan zit, maar ik vind het belangrijk dat zoveel mogelijk mensen deze stukken downloaden. Ik weet niet wat we er nu mee kunnen maar misschien is het handig voor (later) gebruik. Al is het maar als iemand ooit een boek wil schrijven over de geschiedenis van de ziekte die vroeger ME/CVS heette en wie er in die geschiedenis een hoofdrol speelden, dan moeten deze documenten te vinden zijn. 

En het geeft voor nu wel een goed beeld  dat sommige mensen het psychiatrische ziektebeeld CFS nooit los zullen laten. Het schijnt ook een licht op de voorgeschiedenis van het hele NICE gebeuren.

Het is enorm veel om te lezen, maar ik verwacht eerdaags ook wel analyses van Patient Advocates, dat scheelt dan weer. 

Met dank aan XMRV Global action. 

EDIT Eressea: Nu ook te downloaden via deze site, voor vier weken!
slakkenhuisje schreef:Ok mensen:
De belangrijke documenten staan voor ongeveer 4 weken op:

http://www.paithan.com
-> Enter
-> Onder Links.
Wachtwoord: Godsavethequeen
(Je weet wel, dat nummer van de sexpistols)

Bedankt Spring!!
I'm feeling like a Monday but someday I'll be Saturday night!
(Bon Jovi)
spring
Donateur
Donateur

Belanrijke Engelse documenten tijdelijk te downloaden:doen!

Bericht door spring »

Ik zie dat de link van de pagina af loopt, dus maar even een tiny url gemaakt: http://tinyurl.com/9n3nonx

Groetjes!
(Bon Jovi)
marlène
Gevorderd lid

Belanrijke Engelse documenten tijdelijk te downloaden:doen!

Bericht door marlène »

Wat een belangrijke informatie, dank je wel zeg!!
http://opstaanmetmecvs.blogspot.com

Het is makkelijker een atoom te splitsen dan een vooroordeel. - Einstein
Be critical and use your own judgement when using this information. - Marlène R.
ariadne
Gevorderd lid

Bericht door ariadne »

Pfff, wat veel zeg! Heb het gedownload en opgeslagen, maar ga het allemaal niet lezen.
Hopelijk zijn er mensen met meer energie die dat gaan doen en belangrijke informatie eruit filteren.

Groetjes, Ariadne.
stargazertje
Gevorderd lid

Bericht door stargazertje »

Ik krijg access denied.
luna923
Donateur
Donateur

Bericht door luna923 »

mij is het wel gelukt om te downloaden.

maar nu staat het zwart op wit allemaal.

goeie info. thanks
Ik doe niet meer aan sex , de regering naait me al elke dag
yarwen
VIP-donateur
VIP-donateur

Bericht door yarwen »

Dank Spring !
@stargazertje,
De tiny url doet het wel.
asje
Donateur
Donateur

Bericht door asje »

Wat een nieuws!!

Het is me alleen niet duidelijk of álle documenten nu vrijgegeven zijn of een deel er van?
Life smells...
spring
Donateur
Donateur

Bericht door spring »

Een deel. Er zijn dingen weggelaten. Wat precies kom ik nog niet uit.
(Bon Jovi)
Eressea
Contacteer:

Bericht door Eressea »

Op het eerste gezicht lijken de kleine stukjes die gecensureerd worden vooral te gaan om namen/klinieken. Het lijkt vooral correspondentie over hoe politiek om te gaan met CVS, waarbij Wessely veelvuldig wordt geraadpleegd. Ik ga er wat meer induiken. Maar ik denk dat ze de minst schadelijke artikelen hebben vrijgegeven, dat lijkt me ook het meest logisch - Wessely komt soms zelfs bijna aardig over en lijkt enkel het goede met ons voor te hebben :roll:.
In the end, we will remember not the words of our enemies, but the silence of our friends. ~ Martin Luther King
janine
Gevorderd lid

Bericht door janine »

Niet echt opzienbarend zeg... jammer.
Molletje
Gevorderd lid

Bericht door Molletje »

Ik heb het ook gedownload.
Ik wilde het uit printen, maar het zijn 235 pagina's dat gaat mij even iets te ver.

Nu op mijn gemakje door lezen op een goeie dag.
spring
Donateur
Donateur

Bericht door spring »

Hier een review over de stukken van Valerie Eliot Smith:

REVIEW August 2012: The “Secret” M.E. files in the National Archives at Kew in London, UK - by Valerie Eliot Smith

Introduction
Given the recent cyber-activity (Facebook and elsewhere) regarding the above files, it might be helpful for me to outline the history and context of these files.

I use the term “ME” to describe the spectrum of illnesses which is often reduced to the term ME or ME/CFS. It includes the following although the list is not exhaustive: Myalgic Encephalomyelitis, Chronic Fatigue Syndrome, Fibromyalgia, Post-Viral Fatigue syndrome and several others.

The reference numbers of the above documents are BN141/1 (the “DWP” file, originally closed in 1992 until 2072 and then opened in April 2012) and FD23/4553 (the “MRC” file, originally closed in 1991 until 2071 and opened in November 2007). There may well be other files and they will be subject to the same procedures and scrutiny as these files.

Legal background
When files from the various Departments of State (Health, Education, Work and Pensions etc.) are archived in the normal way they are reviewed in case they contain confidential information. It is necessary here to distinguish between “confidential” and “secret”. Secret files are subject to a different process of classification - for example, reasons of national security such as prevention of terrorism.

The ME files are not in the “secret” category; however, some of the information which they contain is confidential in that it reveals sensitive personal details about named individuals (eg. medical information) or the information itself was given in confidence (eg proposals for research funding). Any public authority is under a statutory duty to protect the privacy of its citizens (ie. you, me and everyone else in the UK) so these files – like many others – were closed and then archived in the National Archives (TNA) at Kew, in the early 1990’s.

The formula under which these files were closed is contained in a simple, if cumbersome mathematical calculation. The age of the youngest person mentioned in the files is calculated at the time of review. A period of 80 years is added on and that gives the date when the file can be opened, on the basis that everyone referred to in the file will have died by that time so their privacy is protected during their lifetimes. You do the math, as they say. It does work – I’ve checked it. It seems somewhat gruesome and draconian but due process is often like that.

Since then, there has been a major policy shift towards public access to information. This led to the Freedom of Information Act 2000 (FOIA) which, amongst other things, enabled the procedure which anyone can use to request that a file is opened up. That is how the information about MP’s expenses came into the public domain, for example.

Accessing the files
At some stage, these particular ME files were identified by someone unknown and clearly they tried to access them – possibly without knowing about this procedure. When they were unable to obtain the files, it may have been incorrectly assumed that the files were “secret” rather than merely confidential and so the rumours began.

When I first heard about these files some years ago, like many other people, I was intrigued. I decided to see if they could be accessed using this process. Initially, I was only aware of the details of the DWP file so I started with that in September 2011. It took considerable persistence and effort but I followed the process and took it through three stages of appeal. There are further stages which you can move on to if necessary, but, at that stage, the Office of the Information Commissioner (OIC) – having reviewed the full file - agreed that it should be opened in April 2012 so I didn’t need to go any further.

[I should point out here that anyone can request the opening of any file covered by the FOIA at any time regardless of all other considerations. That doesn’t mean it will be successful but the process is available and the information is displayed on government websites and those of public authorities].

However, the DWP file did contain information which was exempt from disclosure under Section 40 of the FOIA – as I described in the fifth paragraph of this article (towards the bottom of the first page). I agreed that file could be redacted accordingly to protect the sensitive personal details of named individuals and then released. This is absolutely standard procedure. I then viewed the file at Kew on 30 May 2012 (it is not yet available online from TNA website).The redacted portions of the file are clearly marked as required by the legislation.

Around this time I tracked down the second file – the MRC file – and checked it out. To my surprise, it was already open and available online from TNA – although again, with redactions so I downloaded it. It had been opened up in 2007 so clearly someone else had already been through the same procedure as I had with the DWP file. For the record, Parliamentary Questions and e-petitions will not get a file opened up on their own; this is the only process which will achieve it.

In both files, the person doing the redactions seems to have been somewhat over-zealous so the current situation is that I still have ongoing appeals with the OIC against the redactions in both files and therefore the process is not yet completed. However, I do not think that it is likely these appeals will be successful as the law appears, on the face of the papers, to have been correctly applied. Nor do I think that we will learn much more even the redacted information is disclosed. There is a vast amount of material available in the files as they stand - even with the redactions still in place.

From my own personal point of view, I found - and still find - reading these files to be deeply distressing, disturbing and painful. It is utterly draining, and overwhelmingly depressing going through them. However, the information contained there is very old and none of it what was revealed in general terms was new to me.

My conclusion

I personally had not seen these specific documents before but it was only additional evidence of what I and many others already knew to be the case regarding policy and attitudes towards patients/benefit claimants in relation to ME spectrum illnesses. Both Professor Wessely’s and Dr White’s views, for example, have been publicly expressed for many years and the pervading climate, in my view, is of confusion, cock-up and total absence of policy direction rather than active conspiracy.

The Mission

We need to find a new way of talking about the ME spectrum of illnesses. We urgently need to bring about policy change at the highest level. I have believed this for many years but my own health has precluded any significant action. My opinion is that these files may give us a springboard for such a campaign but probably no more than that.

But first and foremost – we need an apology from the UK government in the same manner that the Norwegian Directorate of Health apologised to its ME spectrum patient group in 2011. And we need other countries to do the same.

SHARING AND ATTRIBUTING INFORMATION
Please feel free to share everything in this article as the more people who have access to the information, the better. However, I do ask that I am properly credited with the work I have done and what I have written as the effort involved is enormous. I am aware that I have not properly referenced this article but everything I have referred to is in the public domain and is mostly available on the internet.

I welcome comments and discussion but my health is in shreds at the moment as a result of the last few days. I need to take a short break from my work so will not be responding to anything for the time being.

How to access the ME files
The MRC file (158 pages) is straightforward as it is available online from TNA website. If you go to the site catalogue and search for FD23/4553 you can “shop” and then download it free of charge.

The DWP file (235 pages) ref. BN141/1 is more complicated as, when I last checked, it was not available online as yet. You can view it either by physically going to TNA at Kew or you can order a copy of it from the website but be warned - that is very expensive and this file contains a lot of duplication so money is wasted on copying duplicate documents. There seems to be a copy of this file currently available via the file-sharing site “yousendit.com” (see the “Invest in ME” group on Facebook) but I suspect that will be temporary.

About me
I am a barrister and I also have a background in media and communications. I first became ill with ME in my mid-twenties in 1981. I continued to work and study until 1999 when other serious health problems intervened. These exacerbated my ME and I have been unable to work since then.

And finally.....
I send my very best wishes to all fellow ME spectrum sufferers, families, friends, carers and all those who believe in us and support us worldwide. Thank you.

VALERIE ELIOT SMITH
14 August 2012
(Bon Jovi)
spring
Donateur
Donateur

Bericht door spring »

En de link naar de overige documenten waar Valerie naar verwijst die al jaren openbaar waren, maar niet mogen ontbreken in alle ME archieven:

http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/docu ... ultcount=1
(Bon Jovi)
stargazertje
Gevorderd lid

Bericht door stargazertje »

Inmiddels ook gedownload en voor de zekerheid de link gedeeld met mijn UK kennis die ook ME heeft.
Plaats reactie